The power of routines in helping elders who have moved
May 10, 2023 /
Routines can be beneficial for seniors for several reasons:
- Routines provide structure and familiarity. Moving can be overwhelming and disorienting. Establishing a routine can give a sense of structure and familiarity, which helps seniors feel more comfortable and settled after moving into their new surroundings.
- Routines promote independence. Senior living facilities often provide support and assistance with daily tasks, which is helpful. However, maintaining a routine can also help the recently relocated senior maintain independence and control over their daily lives.
- Routines improve health and well-being. Routines can help everyone maintain healthy habits and behaviors. Seniors are no exception, and practices such as regular exercise, socialization, and proper nutrition can positively impact their physical and mental health.
- Routines reduce stress and anxiety. Routines provide predictability and stability in our daily lives. For seniors, this can help reduce the stress and anxiety that often accompany a move to new surroundings. This can be particularly helpful when seniors experience anxiety or depression related to their move.
- Routines enhance socialization. Establishing a routine can help seniors get involved in community activities and events, promoting socialization and engagement with others in their new environment.
By establishing a routine, seniors can feel more comfortable and settled in their new environment and enjoy the many benefits of senior living.