Tips to help your parent make the physical move to senior living
Helping a parent move into senior living can be a challenging and emotional process, but there are several steps you can take to make the transition smoother:
- Plan and organize the move. Plan and manage the move by creating a checklist of tasks to complete before and after the move. This can help ensure that everything runs smoothly.
- Help with downsizing and decluttering. Downsizing can be daunting, and offering to help your parent declutter and downsize can make the process easier and more manageable. Some realtors specialize in senior residence downsizing, helping to facilitate the preparation and sale processes and allowing for a smoother transition.
- Hire a professional moving company. Consider hiring a professional moving company to help with the move. They can help pack, move, and unpack your parent’s belongings and ensure that everything is transported safely and securely.
- Set up your parent’s new living space. Help your parent set up their furniture and belongings in their new space before move-in day. This can help them feel more comfortable and settled in their new environment. Treasured art, cherished family photos, and personal belongings already in place help them feel welcomed upon arrival.
- Fill their new home with favorite items. Ensure their new space is set up with a good supply of favorite snacks and drinks, favorite music (iPod or CDs), and familiar objects such as photos or decorations.
By taking these steps, you can help your parent move into senior living with less stress and more comfort. Our Senior Living Advisors can help connect you to experts providing services specifically to make the move and transition as hassle-free as possible.