Tips for successfully transitioning to your new senior living residence
January 10, 2022 /
Make your move to senior living go smoothly and successfully transition to your new home:
- Start planning early. This will give you plenty of time to research your options, tour different communities, and make a decision that is right for you.
- Declutter and downsize. Downsizing can be overwhelming. Start early and be realistic about what you can and can’t take with you. Decluttering and downsizing can help you feel organized both before and after you move.
- Get to know your new community. Before you move, get to know your new community. Ask to attend social events, find a way to meet your future neighbors, and get a sense of what life will be like in your new home.
- Stay positive. Moving can be stressful. Stay positive and focus on the benefits of your new living situation: more social activities, access to healthcare, assistance with chores, housekeeping, and meals, and less stress over home maintenance. Think about all of the support and care you’ll be getting!
- Communicate with your loved ones. Moving to senior living can also be a change for your family too. Keep them informed about your plans, and encourage them to be involved in the process with you.
- Get involved. After you move in, get involved with what’s going on in your new community to feel engaged. Attend events, join clubs, and get to know your neighbors.
- Take advantage of available resources. Make your transition more manageable by taking full advantage of the services offered, including food, transportation, and housekeeping. Many facilities have libraries, arts & crafts rooms, exercise facilities, and more, so check them out and find ways to use them.
By following these tips, you can make your move to senior living go smoothly and successfully transition to your new home.